Friday, March 11, 2011

Fightin' Words

Before I write this please know that if you work and don't stay home with your baby, I'm NOT attacking you!!

With that said, a neighbor had his first granddaughter a few days ago. I was looking at the pictures and asking all the questions about the new baby. I asked if his daughter was going back to teaching or staying home with the baby, to which he replied she was going back to work. Then he followed with, "It's really better. Kids who aren't in daycare are socially and academically behind. They have to catch up with the other kids who know more, etc, etc, etc...."

He's saying this to me, knowing I stay home with Eden. Besides that, this is simply not true. Maybe for a small percentage of kids whose parents are 'behind' already themselves, but not for the majority of kids who have stay-at-home-moms. Is this a common belief? That kids don't need their mothers? Daycare is best? I think most would agree that a mom's care is best.

We are fairly well educated around here. I'm a former teacher, and a teacher at heart, even when I'm not being paid for it. Knowledge and academics are pretty important. We've been reading to Eden since she was born, and both of us read books on a wide variety of subjects. Learning is valued in our home. She'll be quite ready for school when the time comes, and I'll venture to say she'll be on target or above. We talk to her, teach her as we are going about our lives, tell her about everything. Eden has a natural curiosity and wants to 'know." She's already been on several vacations and 'field' trips, learning constantly. And socially? If you know anything about us, we are social people!! Hardly loners over here! Eden has friends of all colors, creeds, races, and ages. She's been exposed (in a good way) to more in her first ten months of life than most kids, I think.

And like I said, if you are unable to stay home with your kids, this is not meant to offend you. We all are doing what is best for our families. But we think nothing can take the place of me, her mom, being home with her as she grows up. We waited so long for her, I can't imagine leaving her with someone else. Will I ever go back to work? Maybe. But it won't be for a while. These precious early years will never come again, and it's an honor to be able to stay at home with her.
 

3 comments:

  1. Keep on keeping on friend!! YOU are the best teacher for you baby girl! YOU know her best, God gave her to you to guide her through life & you are doing an amazing JOB! xoxo

    ReplyDelete