Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Macy's Meltdown

I cried in Macy's yesterday. Okay, it wasn't a true meltdown, but there were tears. Let me explain. My mom and I went Christmas shopping for the first time together with Eden. She wanted to buy her a Christmas dress, so we went to the baby clothing section. We were oohing and ahhing about all the cute stuff, comparing one adorable outfit to the other, and I just had to stop for a minute. How many times had we Christmas shopped over the years? How many Christmas dresses and suits had my mom bought for my nieces, nephews, and friends' kids? I couldn't count how many. And that's been great! But this was for me and my child!! I stopped, ran my fingers over a beautiful little dress, choked up, and shed a few tears. "Can you believe we get to do this?" I asked my mom. A sacred moment standing there in the baby section of Macy's.



I'm the oldest of five kids. All my siblings, except the youngest, have kids. My sister has four, and both twins have three each. I've been married twenty years, and we all thought I'd have a house full. But infertility got in the way. An inner ear illness also figured in, causing us to give up our dream of ever having children. But God had another plan. And thankfully, it involves a gorgeous baby who gets to wear some beautiful clothes. Mom insisted on buying all three. : )  A long time coming.

3 comments:

  1. Adorable! Such a HAPPY holiday season, hey? This is gonna be the best one yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! What a blessed time with your mom and your daughter - it doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing? I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete